Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"The Light in Manitoba"

8"X 8" oil on masonite

Here is a painting that I made as a gift for some good friends/relatives this last holiday season and it was one of those paintings that started to feel like a deck of cards as I kept getting further into it. Or like maybe Jenga or whatever. I just kept watching these nice clear shapes emerge, as I was painting, and I was like, "Holy crap, this might be a good painting." And then I got to the point where, (yes, Jenga is the analogy, not the cards) I wasn't going to take any more out or put any more in, and so I just left it alone and there it was, just sitting there.

(And now whenever I sort of congratulate myself on a nice painting I remember Ron Graff calling me a "softie" after looking at my work and I feel like a load of crap again.) Anyway, I was listening to Frank Black's "Manitoba" about that guy getting lost in the woods while I painted this.

No comments:

Post a Comment