Tuesday, February 17, 2009

"Grace and the Persian Rug"

8"X 8" oil on masonite


I'm just now getting into painting on a rigid substrate with a dark ground, which makes a huge difference w/r/t how I've always painted. (i.e. scrubbing away at a bouncing canvas trying to fill up white space and making these little depressions on the surface of the painting itself -because I'm all concentrating- but then instead of getting mad you just incorporate the depressions into the work anyway, as if they were purposeful, and find that you're making maybe even a bonus sublimated commentary or something like that.) Anyway, I feel like with a dark ground one gets to make more decisions instead of just trying to knock out white, is what I was trying to say; but then again, the title, "Manet's Sandwich" just popped into my head- like it always does- So what does that tell you?.

This is a painting of Gracie, for M.S. and A.N. in Parksville, B.C. They were the type of people for whom I love making paintings. We got together at their place to talk art a bit, and give Gracie some scratches, and take some pictures of her, and get an idea of her favorite area of the house: Which turns out to be on her bed under a window with September's anemic light coming in, right by a colorful rug. Nice for painting, eh? I'm really pleased with how it all worked out, start to finish.


5 comments:

  1. I like the expressiveness in the eyes, it's as if I can really "see" what the dog is thinking.

    "more dog food" obviously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgive me for being a rapidograph on paper guy. I don't know what a 'rigid substrate' is. You mean you are using something like plywood and not canvas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duh...I guess I could read the caption. Masonite. Again, i wonder what you will be using during your year long experiment....

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be funny and weird if you had to know a secret handshake while wearing a long robe in order to buy Masonite. Or the prerequisite was that Bill Clinton had to have been over to your house for dinner or whatever.
    And whoa, tiger, w/r/t my "Year of Self-Reliance" blog: I'm not saying I'm going to be making my own paper or anything- I'm just saying I'm going to try, a year hence, to eat primarily what I grow, raise or catch. And I'm not going to try and make my own salt or oil, either. And this is an experiment for the willing participants of my family only- Our son is going to continue eating grilled cheese sandwiches and drinking grape soda until he makes the decision himself to partake in this sort of bleak and redundant experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of you having to make your own Masonite instead. Forget the growing and canning, focus on the Substrate dude! So you will be going to the grocery store occasionally. Those licorice whips will be torturing you. Buy me, buy me. They hate the stuff here in Japan. It is the first thing I buy when I come back state side.

    ReplyDelete