Monday, March 30, 2009

"Henry, the Pink Rug and Maria's Nude Foot"

8" x 14" oil on masonite

You know, you never can be sure just who is punk rock. Just when you think you have everybody pegged, and you're all comfy with the universe being nice and tidy, and all of the usual suspects are all safely packaged up and in their respective places; you get a little curveball. By curveball, I mean that faintly, ever so faintly, you hear a bit of Black Flag in the background while on the telephone with somebody who you would be surprised to hear Black Flag in the background while on the telephone with. Or you catch a flash of a Canadian Maple Leaf tattoo as someone fetches something from the bottom drawer in the kitchen; or you take more than two seconds to peruse someone's bookshelf, and find that there is much, much more than John Grisham on the shelves...

Speaking of finding alternative media on bookshelves, I must refer here to "Jane Fonda's Workout" of 1982, which, uncannily, I find on the bookshelves of all of the coolest people I have ever met, and which book, I suppose, has become, in a way, my own personal "Catcher in the Rye," although I think that that might seem hopelessly shallow.

3 comments:

  1. I notice you have Moby Dick on your shelf. When my first publisher picked me up at my hotel in his car he had ACDC blasting on the radio. A children's book publisher. As you say.. just when you have somebody pegged...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane Fonda workout tape? You are too funny!

    ReplyDelete