Wednesday, March 25, 2009

"A Collaborative"

14" x 24" oil and acrylic on birch plywood

So this is that collaborative piece I was telling you about that I'm working on with the painter Tony Kirby for the Oceanside Gallery show in April. It's basically a guy holding some luggage in one hand and reaching out to (a woman? two women?) with his other hand. The women are laughing and walking the other way. The man sort of looks like a zombie, or the dancing puppet John Malcovich when John Cusack is controlling his body in the movie "Being John Malcovich," and I guess that's what I'm starting to like about this painting: the idea that the lumbering zombie with camoflauge britches holding the suitcase doesn't get the girl this time...

I get to have the painting for one more time in my studio and I need to figure out a good narrative for just what exactly is happening here, anyway, seriously. So any suggestions? STAIRBLASTER thinks I shouldn't be doing collaborative paintings in the first place, but that just shows you how much he knows, and I was thinking birds and a maybe a monkey, but then again, I always want to work birds and maybe a monkey into my paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment