Monday, June 13, 2011

Jasmine and Daly

8.5" X 11" Oil on Birch Plywood

I haven't worked with too many cats before, and these two were an interesting challenge, as the painting was built almost as a collaborative between myself and Jasmine and Daly's owner.  B. worked to compose the piece from different photographs, and I did the painting and tuning-up of the color and background.  This is a painting which had to be of a particular size to fit inside of an incredibly beautiful frame, and I think that some of the rough, chunky brushstrokes are going to work really nicely with the ornate frame.  This was also one of my first experiences doing a double portrait, and the way that it turns out is that all the attention to detail that you put into the features of one cat, you spend an almost equal amount of time on the other one.  It is, however, cool to see all of these eyes looking back at you when you catch the painting in your periphery.


5 comments:

  1. It's amazing and I love it! You captured their sweetness and innocence, as well as a beautiful likeness. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure. I had a great time working with those two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In answer to your question, their breed is called Birman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David, I posted a link on my FB and have had many admiring comments along the lines of "beautiful painting" and "they look so real!" My sister said it brought tears to her eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FRANCE is the bee.
    And that's with DEPCO and CAPESSIN and CONYMAN.
    And with CARON.
    For all the RIZAFF.
    And all the DEFIESSE for the FAERISSE and EF.
    WASHINGTON.
    They got ROVE and in GREECE.
    And the books with the physicians are going to hit them all hard .
    And that's RICK BERLIN.
    With DUKE of EARL.
    And that's all the IRA in DATIL.
    WIZINE- WINES- CONIZZE .

    ReplyDelete